Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Gettin' mah pitcher made...

Our church is doing a new pictorial directory this year. For y'all that don't know, this is when all the families get their portraits done. Each family's picture will go in the book with all of their names listed underneath. It is an extremely useful tool when one is trying to put names to faces of all the families in the church. While I appreciate how handy the directory is, I would never actually have my picture included in one...unless I had to...and this time I had to. You see, in pages and pages of family portraits, the single people tend to stick out a bit. People wonder about them as they peruse the book asking questions like, "Why isn't he married?" and "How come they didn't let her include her cats in the picture?" The worst is my poor friend D- who's last name begins with a Z. Not only was she the last person in her church's directory, but she got her very own page.

At any rate, the pastor said that church staff needed to get their pictures taken, so I did. I didn't really mind it, but I wasn't looking forward to it either. It's basically like having your school picture done. You remember, right? The cheesy, awkward pose? The cheesy, awkward photographer? It had all the necessary elements to induce middle school PTSD flashbacks. The only things missing were the plastic comb and the weird pillar they make you rest your elbow on. Here are a few highlights:

Upon walking in...alone:
Photographer: Will anyone be joining you today?
Me: (looking around) Um...no.
Photographer: Well, we have spare people if you want to borrow some! (laughs at his cleverness)
Me: No thank you. Other people will just distract from me.

Filling in the info sheet:
Check in guy: You just put your name and stuff here. Number of subjects? 1. Number of females? 1. Ha! They're the same. I guess you can list yourself as the head of household too.
Me: Thanks.

Looking at the photos:
Photographer: You get the directory for free. It's made possible through print orders. Will you be ordering any prints?
Me: Ummm...not today, but thanks.
Photographer: Well, you get a free 8x10 anyway.
Me: Thank  you, but I don't know where I'll put it. The cat portraits are taking up all my wall space. (okay, I didn't really say that last part).

All in all, it wasn't so bad. The pictures actually turned out pretty good and I won't have to do it again for a few years. I'm sure I can pass the 8x10 on to an appreciative grandmother (which may actually work in my favor as my face will probably be bigger than any of her other grandkids' faces, thus securing my spot as favorite).

Fondest regards,
The Lady

P.S. The Bradford Pears are in bloom down here, y'all. They smell rotten, but boy do they look amazing.

4 comments:

  1. what a hoot you are!!! I will gladly take the portrait off your hands. You have two grandmothers, but only one mother!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should have used your Jackie-O shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. True...so true.
    Too bad you didn't say the cat comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, maybe I want the 8x10! I'll fight the grandmas and the mom over it!

    ReplyDelete