Monday, April 4, 2011

My Top 10 (+1) Favorite Things About Spring

This afternoon, Diana invited me to go out to the Botanical Gardens and keep her company while she took some pitchers. She's a budding photographer, y'all. Get it? "budding!" Anyway, I am always excited to go to the Bot Gardens, especially in the spring! It's my favorite place in The Classic City. It's just lovely, really. Ahem, sooooo, I grabbed my camera too and met her down there. The result? Lot's of pictures and my favorite things about Spring!

1. Camellias. They are so Southahn, y'all and I want a garden chock full of 'em when I am an LoL. I missed them at their peak this year, which made me sad. C'est la vie though, as they say. Glad there were a few pretty ones left to photograph today.



2. Daffodils! They're like the robin of flowers except way less scary (no pointy beak or sharp talons). They just have a way of appearing overnight and suddenly making you forget how sad and cold you've been since football ended. 


3. Tulips. They just come up in so many cool colors!




4. Early roses. Isn't it cute? It's like it couldn't wait for June either!!!


5. Dogwoods. They're as pretty as Bradford Pears, almost as ubiquitous, but they don't stank and make me sneeze.


6. Irises. These ones are a little early, too. They're so pretty, though! They can be in my garden with all the Camelias.


7. Bluebells. For some reason they make me want to live in the mountains and be barefoot and play a dulcimer or something.


8. Chinese Wisteria. Look, I know it's an invasive plant. I know you really shouldn't keep it in your yard. But it's soooooo pretty.


9. Azaleas. They bloom practically forever, they're so bright, and they're pretty tough to kill. It's basically like God said, "Here Daynes, I'm going to make a plant for you."



10. Hydrangeas. Last, but not least. Again, they're a bit early. Again, I was soooo excited to see them. They're pretty much my favorite shrub ever. My dream Lady of Leisah garden has them everywhere!


11. This guy (and the rest of his team). I know it's a "Top 10" list, but I would be remiss to leave out the Braves. I love, Love, LOVE Baseball, y'all.


The other thing I was really excited to see today? This:


Can you see that little bud? It means Summer is coming and we're that much closer to this!


Fondest regards,
The Lady

4 comments:

  1. I hope for your sake you have your aunt's gardening gene and not your mothers!!
    The tulips at church this year have already bloomed-going to miss Easter!!!
    Glad you had such a wonderful day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you thought of me! I wish I had been there at the garden too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She could have been talking about me! hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loooooove dogwoods! In my freshman history breakout session, a girl in there had a pair of tiny silver dogwood earrings and I'm still obsessed with them to this day. (I mean, I still remember after 6 years.) If I ever found some, I would pay serious money for them.

    ReplyDelete