Thursday, September 5, 2013

One Upon a Year Ago...

Colonel Brandon suggested we take a trip for Labor Day and asked where I would like to go. "That sounds nice." I thought and decided that we should go to New Orleans (having never been to New Orleans, it did not occur to me that it is not a city in which fashionable Ladies of Leisure Summer). Humidity, be damned! I have always wanted to go to the Crescent City and was beyond excited.

Unfortunately, there was a bit of trouble brewing in the Gulf in the form of Hurricane Isaac. I spent the entire week leading up to the trip anxiously watching live Weather Channel coverage working just like I was supposed to. Alas, tales of airport closures and power outages were seriously threatening our plans and even hours of watching Jim Cantore cover the storm punch the hurricane in the face like a badass couldn't make me feel better. In the end, however, the airports opened, the hotel confirmed they had power, and we were good to go. So I packed my bags, got a manicure (no reason), finalized my list of must-eat restaurants, and hit the road to hit the air.

CB was traveling that week, so I met him at the airport. I arrived a few minutes after his plane landed, so I went to meet him at baggage claim per his instructions. When I got there, however, there were no bags, no other people, just a sweet boy all spiffed up and sitting by himself on the side of the baggage carousel. He didn't see me walk up, so I sat down next to him and said something like, "You look very sharp today!"

Standing, he said, "Well..." and then I don't remember anything he said because he was down on one knee being wonderful and making me the happiest person in the world. I'm not sure what my response was, but I think it was something along the lines of, "yes," because afterwards I had a beautiful ring on my finger, a handsome fiance on my arm, and a plane waiting to take us away for a blissful weekend.

In the end we went to New Orleans and had a fabulous time, ate WAY too much food, spent time with some sweet friends, and didn't stop smiling.


Fondly,
The Lady

*This post was supposed to go up last week, but I forgot to hit "publish." Oops.

2 comments:

  1. I did mean to say something- knew it was the anniversary-but you know how my brain works-

    love both of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love! Sweet, sweet story. (And I really like that shirt you're wearing too.)

    ReplyDelete