Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Isn't Sun Valley a lovely name?

Last weekend CB, our friend (who we've nicknamed the sister wife and who is really more of a Sir John Middleton but who has asked to be referred to as Bingley on this blog so we'll call him that because he's a good friend) Bingley, and I headed to Phoenix, AZ. Why? Why not? The gentlemen wanted to see a the Funny or Die Oddball Comedy Tour that would not be touring to the Southeast and I wanted to be warm and dry for a couple of days, so Phoenix seemed like a good plan for all of us.

Phoenix is a lovely place with all kinds of things to do and see. There are scads of galleries, fabulous shopping in Scottsdale, tons of outdoor activities for...you know...outdoorsy people, amazing architecture...at least that's what all the brochures at the resort where we stayed said. It all sounded wonderful; however, all those activities would've required me getting out of my pool chair and that just seemed like a lot of ...work. And really, working on my tan was about all I could handle. That and eating.

I must say that when I did muster the energy to peel myself away from the pool, I found that Phoenix has some fantastic restaurants. We ate breakfast (lunch EST) Saturday morning at Matt's Big Breakfast which is a farm to table breakfast (obvi) place with big (duh) portions. Yum. I ordered the salami scrambled eggs with hashbrowns and CB had flapjacks with bacon and homefries. It was So. Much. Food. So we went back to the hotel to sleep it off and recover.

With our football appetites sated, our skin sunkissed, and our stomachs once again ready to receive food, we headed to the airport to pick up Bingley and grab some dinner at Barrio Cafe. This place was voted best Mexican restaurant in Phoenix and boasts a James Beard nominated chef. It's in a modest looking neighborhood, but the food absolutely lived up to its rave reviews. Hands down the best Mexican food I've ever eaten.

Sunday was more pooling and tanning with a quick break for some In N Out Burger. I had never been before, so the boys humored me and I was not disappointed. Then more tanning and pooling before it was time to head to dinner and a show. Stockyard Steakhouse was our dinner choice for the evening. Yum. I really don't think there is much better food than a really well cooked (and by well I mean medium rare) filet mignon. Sorry, Mom. Between the apps, 'tres, 'serts, and wine, I really wasn't sure how I was going to make it through the comedy show without falling asleep.

For the record, I did stay awake for the show. It was funny. But I know most of you and you don't care about the show. You're more pissed off that I didn't take pictures of my meals than the fact that I'm not talking about the show. Sorry.

All in all it was a delightful, restful weekend. I tried to get CB to stay forever because it's always sunny and every day is a good hair day, but he said no because they don't have sweet tea. I guess that's fair. He did make up for it by buying me some roses and chocolate on Saturday. That's how my husband rolls, y'all, he buys me flowers on vacation because he knows I love them and can't have them at home.  And he takes me on faboo weekends away. What a stud.

Fondest regards,
The Lady

1 comment:

  1. You don't have to apologize to me - I'm glad my medium rare genes rubbed off on you!!

    ReplyDelete