Sunday, January 23, 2011

Les bons temps..

There is a new(ish) restaurant in The Classic City that I absolutely love, Love, LOVE! When Harry Bisset's closed I cried actual real tears for the london broil, she-crab soup, and etoufee that I would never eat again. In fact, I had almost decided to go ahead and move the The Crescent City because where the heck else was I going to find food that good? Enter NONA. I was a little skeptical of the new Nawlins joint taking up where the old Nawlins joint left off, but doubts were soon cast away. It. is. so. good.

Col. Brandon took me for dinner a few weeks ago and ordering went like this:

Me: Do you recommend the scallops or the eggplant pirogue (half an eggplant deep-fried and stuffed with crabmeat, shrimp, and crawfish etoufee)?

Waitress: That depends on how hungry you are. I've never seen anyone finish the pirogue.

Me: Challenge accepted.

Not only did I eat the whole thing, but I took the last piece of bread and sopped up the last remnants of etoufee from my plate. It was so good that I decided to take B- there a few days later. I had the half an oyster po-boy and a cup of sherry crab soup that made me want to march down the street with my trumpet and throw some beads at passersby.

With two good meals under my belt, I decided today would be a good day to try the brunch. Brunch is my favorite meal and I really can't judge whether a restaurant will make my list of favorites until I've tried theirs. My confidence in this place was so high, in fact, that I decided to try something I've never tried before. Poached eggs. Eggs are disgusting and I only eat them if they are covered in cheese or if I'm a guest and the hostess serves them to me...obvi. To be specific, I had poached eggs over steak tips and grilled onions with bernaise sauce. A bold move for me. Given my hatred of eggs, what I'm about to say is high praise: I cleaned my plate and didn't hate it. I will probably never order poached eggs again, but I didn't hate it. Everything else was fantastic and I can't wait to go back and try the banana's foster which, I assume, was on the menu instead of French Toast. Overall, a lovely morning with my friend, C-.

After brunch I went home and passed out making every effort to keep my eggs down. You see, I forgot that I ate 2 (yes, I know we're only supposed to eat 1, but they were still warm) Krispy Kreme donuts before Sunday School. I think God was punishing me for skipping church and being a plate-cleaning, donut hogging glutton. Oops.

Fondest regards,
The Lady

3 comments:

  1. Was Harry Bisset's the place right across from UGA? I recently had a fried oyster on top of my poached egg on my NO inspired eggs benedict...and I almost cried it was so good...always looking for something a little southern up here! Did I make you eat eggs at my house??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we went there when y'all did Brandon's tour. You should come back and try the new place.
    I don't think you've ever made me eat eggs because I usually remember that stuff. I think my disdain can be traced back to an egg salad sandwich Memommie packed in my lunch when I was about 6.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we all have lunch time scars and issues...but we recover well for the other meals!

    ReplyDelete