Friday, March 26, 2010

Is this Heaven? No, it's the Botanical Gardens

Occasionally, I have days when I just feel I need a little leisah practice. This need to hone my skills occurs most frequently at the beginning of spring when the flowers are starting to bloom and the temperature is a lovely 65-70ish degrees...perfect garden weather! So, the other day when I didn't have to babysit (beautiful start to a leisurely day), I called my friend H-- and we went to the Botanical Garden for lunch. It's a good thing, too, because H-- had...brace yourselves...NEVER been to the Botanical Gardens. How are we friends, you ask? I'm not sure, but it's certainly easier now that she knows Botanical Garden bliss.
Now, there are a few things that I feel are quintessential to the LoL lifestyle, particularly in the south (eg. tea, flowers, complaining about men, etc.), and the best thing about the Gardens is that you can find a good many of them right there. First, when you walk into the Cafe, there are no patrons under the age of about 135. This is a sign of an excellent Southern restaurant. When you go to a Thai place, you want to go where there are Thai people who look like they enjoy it. Likewise, at a Southern place, you want to go where there are loads of old Southern folk because there is wisdom in age. Next, I ate tomato soup and chicken salad on a croissant and washed it down with some tea (if you are unaware that the simple word "tea" describes a sweet beverage served on ice, stop reading. We're not friends). Something about the tomato soup, chicken salad, and tea combo makes me feel like I'm sitting at a Junior League luncheon or something. Don't ask me why. I don't need to explain my fantasies to you.
After lunch we took a stroll in the gardens. This is not only good for the digestion, but provides a lovely setting for our weekly chats which inevitably turn to complaining about boys...always fun. The daffodils are in full bloom, other bulbs are beginning to make appearances, and the drought's over, so the floral exploration is enhanced by the lovely soundtrack of working fountains. If all of this doesn't sound delightful enough, we stopped by the...wait for it...Camellias before calling it an afternoon. Camellias are beautiful, oh so Southern, and the perfect way to end a perfect LoL practice session. Back to work.

Fondest regards,
The Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment