Thursday, September 30, 2010

There is not enough downtown space to waste on poor restaurants.

Gentle Readers,
If you are going to open up a bahbeque restaurant in the south and be so presumptuous as to give it a Southern name like "The Cotton Club," you better be ready to back it up with some dang good que. The basic rules for said good que are as follows:

1. The pork must be cooked on-site. It shouldn't have to be said, but there you go.
2. The cooked-on-site pork should be able to stand alone as excellent que. I will almost certainly put sauce on it, but it should be because I want to not because I have to.
3. A good meat to bun ratio is key and one should always err on the side of too much meat.

I am always up for trying a new restaurant in my beloved Classic City, especially when it offers good Southahn Fare. Unfortunately, despite a promising name, menu, and location, The Cotton Club disappointed. There was no smoked pork essence wafting in the air (which may account for the lack of flavor in the barbeque), I'm pretty sure the sauce was some oily variation of ketchup, and the taste of said sauce and pork didn't actually matter because all I really got was mouthful after mouthful of bun. Honestly, I was so distracted with wondering what Yankee opened this affront to Southern cuisine that I forgot to order Tea!!!

On the bright side, Col. Brandon is taking me to the North Georgia State Fair tonight where I am certain to find some piece of deep fried glory to put my taste buds back in a Southahn State of mind! More on that latah...

Fondest Regards,
The Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment