Monday, July 26, 2010

I'm not generally one to complain about the heat. In fact, summer weather is one of my favorite things about the South. Everything just seems to slow down a bit from June to September as folks do what they can to stay cool. I used to have this Romantic idea that pre-air-conditioning southern summers must have been absolutely wonderful. I'm pretty sure the world just stopped and people lived out on the wrap-around porches sipping tea and fanning themselves while waving at the neighbors who were crazy enough to walk down the street. One need only go inside to refill the tea pitcher or take a mid-day bath. It all sounds so delightfully leisahly. Well, it sounded delightfully leisahly until I moved to an apartment without central air. It was so hot this weekend that all I could do was lay on the floor in front of my window unit. Getting dressed is a chore. Forget blow drying my hair. I didn't even have the will to go get my nails done yesterday! Thankfully Col. Brandon (I believe this is how we shall refer to "Boy" on this blog) came over for dinner (at some point I managed to peel myself off the floor to cook) and rescued me from the oppressive heat.
Speaking of Col. Brandon, I've come to the conclusion that dating nice boys will ruin one's life. I have become lazy, lazy, lazy over the past few weeks. Spoiled by meals out, I've almost forgotten what my kitchen looks like. When I do cook, I get flowers. This morning I had to remind myself how to open a car door...that's an exaggeration, but it did occur to me that, in 2 months, I have not opened the door to his car. I have become completely worthless, but I've been loving every minute of it.

Fondest regards,
The Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment